Beef Stew and Dumplings
750750 g chuck steak, diced
5050 g Country Range Plain Flour
5050 g Country Range Tomato Paste
2 2 tsp Country Range Dried Thyme
2 2 tsp Country Range Dried Rosemary
1 ½1 ½ ltrs Country Range Beef Bouillon (made up)
1 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
8 8 medium shallots, peeled
500500 ml red wine
7575 g Country Range Suet Pastry Mix
7575 g Country Range Plain Flour
cold water to bind
splash of olive oil
- 1Pre-heat the oven to 170°C/325°F/Gas Mark 5.
- 2Place a splash of olive oil into a a hot pan, add the steak and seal until golden brown. Remove the meat and place into an ovenproof dish.
- 3Place the pan back onto the heat with the juices and add the flour to form a roux. Cook for 3-4 minutes then add the tomato paste. Cook for a further 3-4 minutes then add the stock, wine and herbs and bring to the boil. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- 4Pour the sauce over the meat, add the shallots and diced carrot, season then cover with a lid and place into the oven for 2 1/2 hours.
- 5For the dumplings, mix the flour and suet mix with a little water to a sticky dough. Cover and leave to one side.
- 6Remove the stew from the oven. Roll the dumplings into medium-sized balls and place on top of the stew. Place the dish back into the oven for a further 30 minutes then remove and serve.