Chocolate Glazed Doughnuts
For the doughnuts:For the doughnuts:
2 x 72 x 7 g sachets dried active baking yeast
6060 ml warm water (45°C)
355355 ml lukewarm milk
100100 g caster sugar
1 1 tsp salt
2 2 Country Range Free Range Medium Eggs
7575 g Country Range Butter
625625 g Country Range Plain Flour
11 ltr Country Range Vegetable Oil, for frying
For the chocolate glaze:For the chocolate glaze:
115115 g Country Range Butter
6060 ml warm milk
1 1 tbsp golden syrup
2 2 tsp vanilla extract
115115 g dark chocolate (at least 70% cocoa), finely chopped
250250 g icing sugar
- 1Sprinkle the yeast over warm water and leave to stand for 5 minutes, or until foamy.
- 2In a large bowl, mix together the yeast mixtures, milk, sugar, salt, eggs, butter and half of the flour. Stir with a wooden spoon until smooth, then beat in remaining flour a little at a time until the dough no longer sticks to the bowl. Knead for about 5 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Place the dough into a greased bowl and cover. Set in a warm place to rise until doubled in size.
- 3Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and gently roll out to 1cm (1/2") thickness. Cut with a floured round cutter. Let the doughnuts sit out to rise again until doubled in size.
- 4Heat the oil in a deep fryer or large heavy pan to 175°C. Slide the doughnuts into the hot oil using a wide spatula. Turn doughnuts over as they rise to the surface. Fry doughnuts on each side until golden brown, and allow to cool while you make the chocolate glaze.
- 5For the chocolate glaze, combine butter, milk, syrup and vanilla in a saucepan over a medium heat until the butter is melted. Decrease the heat to low, add the chocolate and whisk until melted. Turn off heat, add the icing sugar and whisk until smooth. Place the mixture over a bowl of warm water to keep it runny and dip the doughnuts immediately. Sprinkle the chocolate vermicelli over each doughnut while the glaze is still runny, then allow it to set for 30 minutes before serving.