500500 g Country Range Currants
350350 g Country Range Sultanas
175175 g Country Range Raisins
350350 g Country Range Glacé Cherries
2 2 oranges (rind only)
150150 ml sherry
250250 g Country Range Butter
250250 g dark brown sugar
5 5 Country Range Free Range Medium Eggs
7575 g Country Range Self Raising Flour
175175 g Country Range Plain Flour
7575 g Country Range Chopped Almonds, blanched
1 1 tbsp black treacle
1 ½ 1 ½ tsp Country Range Ground Mixed Spice
- 1First, prepare the fruit - chop the raisins with a damp knife and quarter the cherries. Put all the fruit into a container, pour over the sherry and stir in the grated rind. Cover with a lid and leave to soak for 3 days, stirring daily.
- 2Pre-heat the oven to 150°C/300°F/Gas Mark 2. Place the butter, sugar, eggs, treacle and blanched almonds into a large bowl and beat well. Add the flours and spice and mix thoroughly. Stir in the sherry soaked fruit.
- 3Grease and line a 20cm square tin with greaseproof paper. Spoon the mixture into the tin and level out evenly.
- 4Bake slowly until cooked through (approx. 4 hours).
- 5Once cooled, soak with sherry weekly and store in an airtight container until Christmas.