Marinated Mackerel with Spiced Alioli
6 6 mackerel fillets (unsmoked), with skin
1 1 small bunch of fresh dill, roughly chopped, plus extra sprigs to garnish
3 3 Country Range Bay Leaves
22 cm piece horseradish, peeled and thinly sliced
1 1 small red onion, sliced into rings
150150 g red onion, sliced into rings
250250 ml Country Range White Wine Vinegar
2 2 tsp Country Range Ground Pimento/Allspice
2 2 tsp Country Range Mustard Seeds
1 1 tsp Country Range Whole Caraway Seeds
2 2 tsp Country Range Whole Black Peppercorns
2 2 tsp Country Range Whole White Peppercorns
For the alioli:For the alioli:
pinch saffron powder
2 2 tsp Country Range Garlic Granules
2 2 medium Country Range Free Range Medium Egg yolks
½ ½ lemon (juice only)
150150 ml Country Range Vegetable Oil
- 1Remove all bones and place mackerel fillets side by side in a deep dish. Scatter with the dill, bay leaves, horseradish and onion. Cover and refrigerate.
- 2Combine 150ml water with sugar, white wine vinegar and spices in a saucepan and stir over a low heat to dissolve the sugar. Bring to the boil, immediately remove from the heat and allow to cool completely.
- 3Pour the cold marinade over the mackerel, cover the dish with cling film and marinate in the fridge for at least 3 hours (preferably overnight) before serving.
- 4For the alioli, put the saffron powder, garlic granules, egg yolks and lemon juice into a food processor. Blend until thick and smooth. With the motor running, slowly trickle in the oil until mixed. Season well.
- 5Drain the mackerel fillets and place on plates with some of the marinated onion rings and garnish with sprigs of dill. Serve with the alioli, a green salad and slices of toasted focaccia.