Pan-fried hake with cous cous and pickled vegetables
4 4 hake fillets, 175g each piece
600600 g Country Range Cous Cous
1 1 pint fish stock
3 3 Country Range Star Anise
1 1 Country Range Cinnamon Stick
2 2 tbsp Country Range Olive Oil
½ ½ pepper, finely chopped
2 2 dsp Country Range Sultanas or Raisins
salt and pepper
For the pickle and vegetables:For the pickle and vegetables:
2525 g cucumber, sliced very thinly
2 2 radish, sliced thinly
2020 g white radish, sliced thinly
1 1 carrot, sliced thinly
2 2 dsp Country Range White Wine Vinegar
4 4 dsp caster sugar
pinch Country Range Fennel Seed
pinch sea salt and black pepper
- 1Bring the stock to boil. Place the cous cous into a bowl with the star anise and cinnamon. Pour the stock on to the cous cous and cling film tight. Allow to sit for 4-5 minutes.
- 2Remove the cling film and add the sultanas, seasoning, chopped peppers and mix.
- 3Add a splash of olive oil to a hot pan and add the fish. Seal until golden brown and turn every 2-3 minutes until the fish is cooked (approx. 7-8 minutes).
- 4For the pickles and vegetables, leave the veg to one side. Place all the other ingredients into a pan and bring to the boil. Remove from the heat and add the thinly sliced vegetables. Allow to cool and leave to one side.
- 5To serve, place the cous cous into a round cutter in the centre of the plate. Place the fish on top with a squeeze of lemon and arrange the pickled veg on top of the fish. Pour a little yoghurt with chopped mint and finely chopped cucumber around and serve.