- Pre-heat oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6. Peel the pears and cut a thin slices from the bottom of each one so they sit up in a casserole dish.
- Pour over the wine and add the whole spices. Cut the butter into cubes and place a cube on top of each pear.
- Sprinkle over the sugar, cover with foil or a lid and bake in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove the dish from the oven and baste the pears with the juice. Return the dish to the oven uncovered for 40 minutes or until the pears are soft.
- For the cardamom cream, whisk the double cream until it forms soft peaks. Gently combine the sugar and ground cardamom.
- Serve with the warm pears and a drizzle of the juice from the casserole dish.