Pears Baked in Red Wine with Cardamom Cream
6-8 6-8 pears
275275 ml good quality red wine
2525 g Country Range Unsalted Butter
7575 g light demerara sugar
1 1 tsp Country Range Ground Ginger
2 2 Country Range Cinnamon Sticks
2 2 Country Range Whole Star Anise
1 1 tsp whole pimento
6 6 Country Range Whole Cloves
3 3 Country Range Cardamom Pods
For the cardamom cream:For the cardamom cream:
275275 ml double cream
½ ½ tsp ground cardamom
1 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 1Pre-heat oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6. Peel the pears and cut a thin slices from the bottom of each one so they sit up in a casserole dish.
- 2Pour over the wine and add the whole spices. Cut the butter into cubes and place a cube on top of each pear.
- 3Sprinkle over the sugar, cover with foil or a lid and bake in the oven for 30 minutes.
- 4Remove the dish from the oven and baste the pears with the juice. Return the dish to the oven uncovered for 40 minutes or until the pears are soft.
- 5For the cardamom cream, whisk the double cream until it forms soft peaks. Gently combine the sugar and ground cardamom.
- 6Serve with the warm pears and a drizzle of the juice from the casserole dish.