Roast Scallop with a Hazelnut Crust and Cauliflower Velouté
24 24 medium scallops
For the curry oil:For the curry oil:
1/21/2 tbsp Country Range Curry Powder
400 400 ml Country Range Vegetable Oil
For the cauliflower veloutéFor the cauliflower velouté
1 1 large cauliflower
25 25 g Country Range Butter
1 1 tbsp Country Range Vegetable Oil
1 1 onion, finely chopped
1 1 ltr fish or chicken stock
100 100 ml double cream
For the hazelnut crust:For the hazelnut crust:
100 100 g Country Range Hazelnuts, roasted
65 65 g Country Range Butter, softened
1 1 tsp fresh chives, chopped
1 1 tsp fresh parsley, chopped
1/21/2 tsp Country Range Garlic Purée
For the scallop roe:For the scallop roe:
Country Range Flour
1 1 Country Range Free Range Medium Egg, beaten
Country Range Panko Breadcrumbs
12 12 Country Range Raisins, soaked
- 1For the curry oil, shake together in a jar then leave to settle for 24 hours.
- 2For the cauliflower velouté, finely chop the cauliflower. Melt the butter and oil in a heavy based sauce pan, add chopped onion, a pinch of salt and cook until the onions turn soft.
- 3Add the cauliflower to the pan and continue to sweat on a medium heat until soft then pour in the stock and bring to the boil.
- 4Add the cream then remove from the heat and blitz until smooth.
- 5Pass through a fine sieve and check seasoning, adjust accordingly.
- 6For the hazelnut crust, roughly chop the hazelnuts then mix well with the other ingredients.
- 7Add a pinch of salt then place the mixture between two sheets of baking parchment on a tray and spread out evenly using a rolling pin until about 2mm thick. Place in freezer.
- 8Once frozen, cut the crust with circle cutters the same size as the scallops then return the crust to the freezer until needed.
- 9For the scallops, pane the roe by first coating the scallop roe in flour, then egg, then breadcrumb.
- 10To assemble the dish, gently heat the cauliflower velouté checking the consistency.
- 11Heat a non-stick frying pan, add a splash of oil and cook the scallops over a high heat to get a golden colour on one side. Turn the scallops over and remove from the heat.
- 12Take the scallops out of the pan and place the crust on top of each one. Quickly flash under a hot grill to cook the crust.
- 13Meanwhile, deep fry the scallop roe until golden brown.
- 14Add the velouté to a heated bowl and place the scallops on top along with the roe.
- 15Scatter the raisins around the scallops with the sea purslane and drizzle over the curry oil.