Rolled Pork Shoulder with Black Pudding Croquette
1 1 side pork belly
1 1 kg pork shoulder
200 200 g black pudding
200 200 g chorizo
1 1 litre Country Range Red Cooking Wine
500 500 g Desiree potatoes
250250 g grated smoked cheese
200 200 g Country Range Panko Breadcrumbs
4 4 Country Range Bay Leaves
1 1 tsp Country Range Whole Black Peppercorns
2 2 bulbs garlic
1 1 sprig fresh rosemary
1 1 litre Country Range Vegetable Bouillon
500 500 g diced root vegetables
1 1 sprig fresh thyme
2 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1For the pork belly, score the skin and salt lightly.
- 2Place half of the root vegetables, one bulb of garlic and a few sprigs of rosemary and thyme in a tray and sweat down until they caramelise.
- 3De-glaze the tray with the red cooking wine and place the pork in. Add some Country Range Vegetable Bouillon below the skin and cover with greaseproof paper then tin foil. Braise in the oven for 4 hours on 140°C.
- 4Once cooked leave to cool slightly, line the bench with cling film and wrap tightly, press with a heavy weight in the fridge and leave to set. Keep the stock for sauce (strain) trim the belly into a square removing the excess fat.
- 5For the pork shoulder, sweat off the rest of the root vegetables in a saucepan, again, de-glaze the pan with the rest of the red wine and add the shoulder.
- 6Cover with vegetable bouillon and simmer on a low heat for 6 hours.
- 7Once cooked, remove shoulder, leave to cool slightly and pull apart.
- 8Line the bench with cling film and roll tight into a cylinder shape. Set in fridge. Cut into individual portions.
- 9For the croquettes, boil potatoes, mash and season, no butter, needs to be a dry mash to breadcrumb. Roast or grill the diced black pudding until cooked through and add to the mash with the smoked cheese, add chopped parsley and mix.
- 10Roll into a cylinder shape and set in the fridge. Then flour, egg wash and breadcrumb.
- 11For the sauce, in a pan reduce some red wine, redcurrant jelly and thyme by two thirds. Add the pork stock and reduce again by half. Add the cooked chorizo and simmer.
- 12To serve, place a piece of belly in a cold pan skin down and render (crisp) flip over and add the rolled shoulder, add the sauce to the pan and baste the shoulder to warm through, bake the croquette in the oven until golden. Add vegetables of your choice to garnish, ideally tenderstem broccoli, asparagus and baby carrots.