- Seal the chicken leg in a hot frying pan until golden brown.
- Make up the chicken stock as per pack instructions, then move the leg into the stock and braise for 1 1/2 hours until the meat is falling off the bone. Remove the leg from the stock and pick the meat away.
- Place a medium sized pan on a medium heat. Once the pan is hot, place a teaspoon of butter in the base and once nutty brown, add the garlic and shallot to sweat.
- Add the carrot and celery to the pan and gently sweat all the vegetables together for 5-10 minutes.
- Place the pearl barley into the vegetable pan and cover with the chicken stock and chicken leg meat. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve with a few celery leaves and some croutons.