Indian Spiced Fish Steaks with Rustic Bread and Indian Coleslaw
4 x 2004 x 200 g white fish steaks (swordfish is good)
3 3 tbsp Country Range Vegetable Oil
1 1 red onion, finely chopped
2 2 tsp Country Range Crushed Chillies
2 2 tsp Country Range Curry Powder
1 1 tsp Country Range Ground Cumin
2 2 tsp Country Range Cayenne Pepper
1 1 lemon (juice and zest)
For the rustic bread:For the rustic bread:
125125 g Country Range Strong White Flour
½ ½ tsp fast action yeast
½ ½ tsp Country Range Vegetable Oil
100100 ml sparkling water
1 1 tsp Country Range Whole Black Mustard Seeds
1 1 tsp Country Range Ground Coriander
salt to taste
For the Indian coleslaw:For the Indian coleslaw:
100100 g cabbage, finely shredded
5050 g carrot, finely shredded
5050 g onion, finely shredded
3 3 tbsp Country Range White Wine Vinegar
½ ½ tsp Country Range Crushed Chillies
½ ½ tsp Country Range Dried Mint
½ ½ tsp Country Range Dried Basil
1 1 tsp Country Range Garam Masala
- 1Place the fish steaks in a shallow dish. Add the lemon juice and zest. Heat the oil in a pan and sauté the onions until soft. Add the spices and cook for a further 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and add to the fish. Leave to marinate for 1 hour.
- 2For the coleslaw, mix the wine vinegar, sugar and spices together. Add to the shredded vegetables and mix well.
- 3For the bread, pre-heat oven to 220°C/425°F/Gas Mark 7. Mix the flour, yeast, spices and some salt. Add the oil and sparkling water gradually. Knead the soft dough for 4-5 minutes. Cut into 4 pieces and roughly roll to 1/2 inch thick. Let them sit for 5 minutes.
- 4Drizzle the dough with oil and bake for 8-10 minutes until puffy and golden.
- 5Heat a griddle pan and cook the fish steaks for 10 minutes or until cooked thoroughly. Serve together with a salad garnish.