Smoked Haddock Kedgeree
50 50 Country Range Butter
3 3 Country Range Cardamom Pods, split open
¼ ¼ tsp Country Range Turmeric
1 1 Country Range Cinnamon Stick
1 1 Country Range Bay Leaf
1 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
450450 g Country Range Basmati Rice
11 ltr Country Range Chicken Bouillon (made up)
½ ½ tsp Country Range Salt
750750 g un-dyed smoked haddock
3 3 Country Range Free Range Medium Eggs
3 3 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
4 4 small tomatoes, cut in half
2 2 spring onions, sliced
- 1Melt the butter in a large saucepan, add the onion and cook gently over a medium heat for 5 minutes until softened but not browned.
- 2Stir in the cinnamon stick, turmeric, cardamom pods and bay leaf then cook for 1 minute.
- 3Tip in the rice and stir until it is well coated.
- 4Pour in the stock, add the salt and bring to the boil. Stir once to release any rice from the bottom of the pan. Cover with a close-fitting lid, reduce the heat and leave to cook gently for 12 minutes.
- 5Lightly sauté the tomatoes in a small pan then keep warm over a low heat.
- 6Meanwhile, bring some water to the boil in a large shallow pan. Add the smoked haddock and simmer for 4 minutes until the fish is just cooked. Lift out onto a plate and leave until cool enough to handle.
- 7Boil the eggs for 8 minutes, drain, cool slightly then peel and cut in half.
- 8Uncover the rice and remove the bay leaves, cinnamon stick and cardamom pods. Place a spoonful of rice in a bowl, add the smoked haddock, eggs and tomatoes and sprinkle with the sliced spring onion and fresh parsley.